Friday, January 21, 2011

Back in Gear

As I mentioned on Tuesday, I kind of hit a bump in the road - with the art course I'm taking online. Partly because it was a bit busier around here... and partly because of one of my assignments.

The first step was ridiculous fun. Staining with coffee grounds, and rolling blueberries down my journal page. I could be heard from the other room giggling. I even dribbled beeswax from a candle.


Then I got a little stuck... where to take it from here. I focused in on the clusters created by wax dribbles, which I had removed, and attempted to turn them into flowers. Kind of like a reddish/purply sunflower - I used water colour pencils and oil pastels.

Not happy with how it turned out, I washed over it with blue watercolour paint to create a kind of Under the Sea theme, playing up the blueberry stain.


Finally, (many days later) it hit me what was missing. Bubble wrap and paint splatters :)
Ta dah - the finished product!

Under the Sea

After that adventure, I figured it was time for some minimalism. A paper tearing exercise did the trick.

6 is better than 5

Created very quickly, from scraps left over from my most recent Art Trading Card creations. (Which went in the mail on Wednesday!) This was so fun and liberating to just rip, glue and stick - just like that, no plan, no analyzing :)

Some other exercises appearing in my journal the past couple of days... (Click through to see the full size image).

Blind Contour Palm - Take 1Blind Contour Palm - Take 2
Upside down PicassoSelf Portrait

Happy Friday!

p.s. 10 more days to send me your photos of joy (what brings you joy, experiencing joy, representing joy) Click here!

5 comments:

B @ Sweet Limes said...

That turned out magnificent! It's soft looking and I like the red tones peeking out of the blue. Who knew bubble wrap could save a painting!

Noel said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!

Noel said...

PS
I just got a note on my blog regarding the Stylish Blogger Award. It's like a fun game of internet-tag-blogger-awesomeness, and I wanted to share it with you. (I will NOT be offended if you don't follow all the steps below or don't participate, it just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, so I wanted to share it with you and let you know how much I enjoy your writing!)

Here are the details:

Recently I got a surprise… I got a stylish blogger award. I am passing it on to you because I love your blog and want to get it read by even more people. See my recent post for the list with your blog on it!

So here are the rules for acceptance of the award:

1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers.
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

There is a button that goes with the award. Click on mine and copy the properties into your own blog.

Again, just wanted to let you know that I think you rock, and that you inspire me every time I visit your blog! :)

Yvonne said...

That is absolutely beautiful!

Emily said...

I LOVE it! Blueberries- what a great idea:) I love the texture that the bubblewrap created; the light blue color on top of the darker colors really add dimension. Looks like you are having so much fun with all the creative courses you're involved with- yea!!!